Land & Sea – Brown Bears & Calving Glaciers
Explore a wildlife rich slice of Alaska, set in the scenic wilderness settings of Lake Clark National Park, and the Chugach National Forest Wilderness of Prince William Sound. Get off the beaten path and experience unparalleled photographic and wildlife viewing opportunities, while part of a small group. Begin the journey with an exploration of the remote corners of Prince William Sound on a five-day voyage, observing wildlife such as black bear, sea otters, harbor seals, whales, sea lions and puffins, amidst a spectacular blend of mountain, forest, and glacial scenery. Next take a scenic bush flight to one of the most remote and road less national Parks in Alaska; Lake Clark. Stay in a comfortable lodge for 3 days of intimate bear viewing, where you are on the ground with coastal brown bears as they feed, nurse, mate and play in the lush green, flower filled meadows. The opportunity to observe concentrations of coastal brown bears in their natural habitat is the primary attraction of this remote wilderness area. Due to their high-protein salmon diet, coastal brown bears are significantly larger than the interior grizzly bears (both are subspecies of brown bear, Ursus arctos). Most of the time spent here will be observing and photographing the phenomenal bear activity, sometimes even from the deck of your cabin. You’ll look for mothers with cubs as well as larger male bears as they dig for clams at low tide and forage for grass in the meadows.
There is also an option to take a fishing charter for halibut or salmon! $200 per person, minimum 2 people, and weather dependent.
June 17 – 27:
Arrive Anchorage June 17, voyage Prince William Sound June 18 – 22 (5 days, 4 nights), overnight Anchorage the evening of 22nd, Scenic 90 minute flight to Lake Clark National Park and stay at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge for brown bear viewing June 23, 24, 25, return to Anchorage afternoon of June 26, check out June 27th.
June 25 – July 5:
Arrive Anchorage June 25th, voyage Prince William Sound June 26 – 30 (5 days/ 4 nights), overnight Anchorage the evening of 30th, Scenic 90 minute flight to Lake Clark National Park and stay at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge for brown bear viewing July 1, 2, 3, return to Anchorage afternoon of July 4, check out July 5th.
- All activities, leaders, transport, park entry and user fees, landing fees and permits unless described as optional.
- Accommodations for the nights of June 17 – 26, or June 25 – July 4.
- Meals from dinner on June 17 through breakfast on June 26 except dinner on June 22 in Anchorage, or June 25 through breakfast on July 5 except dinner on June 30 in Anchorage.
- Round-trip flights between Anchorage and Silver Salmon Creek Lodge.
- Group airport transfer on June 23 and 26, or July 1 and 4 in Anchorage.
- Complimentary beverages (wine, beer, spirits, sodas, juice) aboard the Discovery.
- Beer while staying at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge.
- Trip Materials – information about flights, packing, entry and departure requirements, airport transfers, gratuities, etc.
- Rubber boots, rain gear, and kayaks available for use aboard the Discovery.
- All Airfare (except flights listed as included), airport and departure taxes, and excess baggage fees.
- Dinner on June 22, or June 30, in Anchorage.
- Airport transfers in Anchorage at the beginning and end of the trip.
- Gratuities for the crew